COVID-19 causes event cancellation chaos

coronavirus

SEVERAL local events have already been axed following the Federal Government’s recommendation to cancel all mass gatherings attended by more than 500 people but it is not yet known how severe the impact will be.

Schools, universities and transport centres are not included in the ban but with eight new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) confirmed over the weekend, bringing the total number of Victorian cases to 57, local schools have started to take matters into their own hands.

Bright P-12 College confirmed with Myrtleford Times they have cancelled all events for term one including the swim program, parent/teacher interviews, year 12 retreat, year 11/12 art execursion, a kayak trip and year 7-12 Ovens and Murray sport.

The school has also closed the canteen and will alternate lunch times for primary and secondary students.

In Myrtleford, P-12 College cancelled their visit to the National Gallery as well as Ovens and Murray sports days in Albury while Marian College has postponed the year nine surf camp and cancelled their VCE careers expo as well the annual Caritas walk to Gapsted.

On Monday, Premier Daniel Andrews declared a state of emergency in Victoria over COVID-19 while the World Health Organisation last week classified coronavirus a global pandemic.

Alpine Shire Council is working to outline the details for the region’s social calendar but confirmed a number of events have already been cancelled.

Bright Fun Run, scheduled for April 26, was cancelled on Monday with registered participants offered a full refund while organisers of the Buffalo Stampede event pulled the pin on their event over the weekend.

The High Country Cycling Festival and the Tawonga CFA thank you picnic have been postponed.

A decision on the Autumn Festival’s fate will be decided by Friday with doubts also surrounding the Wandiligong Nut Festival.

It is also unclear is Myrtleford’s La Fiera Festival will go ahead but organisers have not made a decision.

The Albury Wodonga Football Association was given the greenlight to proceed until further notice while Ovens and Murray clubs have been told to prepare for round one to be postponed until May 2.

We have provided this coronavirus article without the requirement to subscribe to the digital edition. This is a rapidly changing situation and we want to make sure our readers are as informed as possible. If you would like to support our journalists you can subscribe here.

  •