Dad hopeful police brief will lead to charges over the death of Myrtleford toddler

HOPEFUL: Kevin Ruffels (main photo) wants justice for his son Daniel Thomas (inset), after a coroner this year found Mandy Martyn (top inset) was responsible for the Myrtleford toddler’s death. PHOTO: Luke Plummer

KEVIN Ruffels remains hopeful that charges will soon be laid against those who a coroner blamed for the disappearance and death of his son, Daniel Thomas, in Myrtleford in 2003.

Homicide Squad detectives confirmed last week they had submitted a brief of evidence to the Office of Public Prosecutions (OPP) for opinion in relation to their investigation into the death of Daniel.

A Victoria Police spokesman told the Myrtleford Times that detectives are now awaiting the advice from the OPP.

“As such we are not in a position to comment any further,” the spokesman said.

An OPP spokesman said they could not make any comment at this stage.

It had been speculated last week that a murder charge could be laid against Daniel’s babysitter Mandy Martyn, and a charge of reckless conduct endangering life could be laid against Daniel’s mother Donna Thomas – no one has ever been charged to date.

To continue reading this story, click here to access our digital edition

Classifieds

By Phone

03 5752 1058

Fax: 03 5752 2627

When to book

Observer & Times Classifieds

3pm Monday

North East Jobs

3pm Friday

Selling a car

Two weeks advertising with picture from only $29

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!