Man fined after his unauthorised fire spread into bushland

EXTINGUISHING A THREAT: A CFA firefighter helps contain the fire last week. PHOTO: Justin Jenvey

A 73 year-old Myrtleford man has been fined $443 after an unauthorised fire on his Clancy Lane property got out of control and spread into public bushland last week.

Leading Senior Constable Paul Doswell of Bright police said the resident admitted lighting the fire to burn a pile of rubbish before leaving it unattended.

“He has seen all the smoke around town and made an assumption that it was okay to burn off,” he said.

“That’s obviously not the case with fire restrictions still in place.”

The fire burnt approximately two hectares of bushland beside the property and forced the closure of the Ovens River loop track between Rotary Park and Apex Park.

Myrtleford CFA captain Garry Gunson said 25 crew and nine vehicles, including six CFA units and three HVP vehicles attended to ensure the fire was properly extinguished.

To continue reading this story, click here to access our digital edition

Classifieds

By Phone

03 5752 1058

Fax: 03 5752 2627

When to book

Observer & Times Classifieds

3pm Monday

North East Jobs

3pm Friday

Selling a car

Two weeks advertising with picture from only $29

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!